From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 02:49:01
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 21 August 2011 02:08:51 Paul Hartman wrote:
5 >> Could I just export the entire laptop - everything from the root
6 >> directory and below - and chroot into that over the network? Then I
7 >> wouldn't even need to emerge -k...
8 >>
9 > No, I tried that and got myself tied in knots - well, actually it was the
10 > whole portage tree that I exported, not the entire system. I forget what
11 > went wrong now, but it's definitely cleaner to tell the server to build the
12 > packages and the client to install from them. The emerge -k step is quick
13 > too, and you have the advantage that you can see whether the packages are
14 > actually there, unless you've switched colours off or not specified -v. (I
15 > once found that they weren't there, which prompted me to go looking for the
16 > config problem. Like Dale, I'm quite a good tester!)
17 >
18 > You just have to make sure that the chroot is identical to the client.
22 Since you mentioned me. I wish I could set up a quicky from my 4 core
23 64 bit machine to compile 32 bit packages for a older 2GHz machine that
24 belongs to a friend. I was going to put Mandriva on it but the CD won;t
25 boot up properly. It stops at starting udev. Grrrrr.
26
27 How hard is it to set up a 64 bit machine to compile programs for a 32
28 bit system?
29
30 Dale
31