From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 02:00:07
1 On Sunday 21 August 2011 02:08:51 Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > Could I just export the entire laptop - everything from the root
4 > directory and below - and chroot into that over the network? Then I
5 > wouldn't even need to emerge -k...
6
7 No, I tried that and got myself tied in knots - well, actually it was the
8 whole portage tree that I exported, not the entire system. I forget what
9 went wrong now, but it's definitely cleaner to tell the server to build the
10 packages and the client to install from them. The emerge -k step is quick
11 too, and you have the advantage that you can see whether the packages are
12 actually there, unless you've switched colours off or not specified -v. (I
13 once found that they weren't there, which prompted me to go looking for the
14 config problem. Like Dale, I'm quite a good tester!)
15
16 You just have to make sure that the chroot is identical to the client.
19 Rgds
20 Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23