From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: syslog-ng 10s pause during startup
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 15:33:45
1 On 10/19/19 8:09 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2019-10-19, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 10/18/19 5:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> On 2019-10-18, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> It is waiting for entropy to build.
7 >>>
8 >>> Interesting -- what does syslog-ng need entropy for?
9 >>>
10 >>>> Moving mouse or typing on keyboard will speed it up but I have
11 >>>> machines only controlled by IR so this was not helpful.
12 >>>
13 >>> Thanks, I'll try that.
14 >
15 > That doesn't seem to make any difference.
18 It is a boot service and needs to start very early in the boot process.
19 When I first installed it, syslog-ng was starting before it, negating
20 any usefulness.
21
22 This problem affected 4 out of 5 machines after that update.
23
24 >> I'm not sure actually. I only found it after 15 minutes of
25 >> troubleshooting while noting the time when things started/stopped. I
26 >> came across a log entry with something saying "waiting for entropy" and
27 >> when I noted when boot continued another entry like "entropy gathered."
28 >
29 > Hmm. No messages like that in demsg output.
30 Check /var/log/messages too - I don't remember where I came across that
31 in the logs.
32
33 >> Waiting 20 minutes for a MythTV appliance to start is pretty silly though.
34 >
35 > Yea, that's definitely beyond the pale.
36 >
37 > How's MythTV these days?
38 >
39 > I ran Myth for 10+ years, but got frustrated at the lack of a small
40 > cheap silent front-end.
41 >
42 > Does the server still refuse to run on a headless machine without X11
43 > and demand that you configure it via a MythTV client on a UI layed out
44 > for a TV? When I gave up on Myth I switched to SageTV. When Google
45 > bought that and shut it down, I switched to to Plex. Both SageTV and
46 > Plex can run on a server without X11 can be configured via a web UI.
49 I haven't had to run the setup in like 8 years but I suspect it hasn't
50 changed. Some frontends use the kodi plugin to access the recordings.
51
52 Dan