From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: syslog-ng 10s pause during startup
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 15:10:03
1 On 2019-10-19, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 10/18/19 5:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2019-10-18, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> It is waiting for entropy to build.
6 >>
7 >> Interesting -- what does syslog-ng need entropy for?
8 >>
9 >>> Moving mouse or typing on keyboard will speed it up but I have
10 >>> machines only controlled by IR so this was not helpful.
11 >>
12 >> Thanks, I'll try that.
13
14 That doesn't seem to make any difference.
15
16 > I'm not sure actually. I only found it after 15 minutes of
17 > troubleshooting while noting the time when things started/stopped. I
18 > came across a log entry with something saying "waiting for entropy" and
19 > when I noted when boot continued another entry like "entropy gathered."
20
21 Hmm. No messages like that in demsg output.
22
23 My next guess would be that the wifi interface isn't up yet, and it's a DNS
24 lookup timing out.
25
26 > Waiting 20 minutes for a MythTV appliance to start is pretty silly though.
27
28 Yea, that's definitely beyond the pale.
29
30 How's MythTV these days?
31
32 I ran Myth for 10+ years, but got frustrated at the lack of a small
33 cheap silent front-end.
34
35 Does the server still refuse to run on a headless machine without X11
36 and demand that you configure it via a MythTV client on a UI layed out
37 for a TV? When I gave up on Myth I switched to SageTV. When Google
38 bought that and shut it down, I switched to to Plex. Both SageTV and
39 Plex can run on a server without X11 can be configured via a web UI.
42 Grant