From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: syslog-ng 10s pause during startup
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 14:34:40
1 On 10/18/19 5:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2019-10-18, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> It is waiting for entropy to build.
5 >
6 > Interesting -- what does syslog-ng need entropy for?
7 >
8 >> Moving mouse or typing on keyboard will speed it up but I have
9 >> machines only controlled by IR so this was not helpful.
10 >
11 > Thanks, I'll try that.
14 I'm not sure actually. I only found it after 15 minutes of
15 troubleshooting while noting the time when things started/stopped. I
16 came across a log entry with something saying "waiting for entropy" and
17 when I noted when boot continued another entry like "entropy gathered."
18
19 Those aren't the actual log entries but what I "translated" the entries to.
20
21 Thankfully I wasn't scratching my head for hours over that one. I did
22 find if you left it long enough (my IR device would continue boot on its
23 own after 20 minutes or so) it would eventually boot.
24
25 Waiting 20 minutes for a MythTV appliance to start is pretty silly though.
26
27 Dan