From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 14:12:05
1 On 17-Mar-12 13:50, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2012-03-17 12:11 AM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
3 > <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> An initramfs which does this is created by
5 >>> =sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
6 >>> =sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be
7 >> sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.
8 >
9 > Ok, I have never used genkernel, and have no desire to...
10 > I have no idea what dracut is or how to use it...
11 > I have a remote system that has /usr on a separate partition.
12 >
13 > So...
14 > How do I find out if I am actually *using* an initramfs right now (I
15 > know it is built into the kernel), and
16 > If I am not, how do I do this without using genkernel? Is dracut t he
17 > only other option? Is it easy/trivial to set one up manually?
18 >
19 > I cannot imagine that gentoo is just going to throw me to the wolves
20 > like this without providing *in-depth* instructions on how to make sure
21 > my system will boot after this update, like they did with the
22 > baselayout-2 update...
23
24 The same here. This news scared me a little! If during this "update"
25 some of my servers gets screwed up, I will have to travel 100 miles
26 to fix it on place. Not very nice perspective...
27
28 BTW, I'm not using genkernel and I can not use it. sys-kernel/dracut
29 is not stable yet, so this update going to be real pain in a**!
30 After baselayout 1>2 update I thought nothing worse can happen to me.
31 Now I see I was terribly wrong...
32
33 Jarry
37 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
38 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.