From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:52:32
1 On 2012-03-17 12:11 AM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > An initramfs which does this is created by
4 >>=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
5 >>=sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be
6 > sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.
7
8 Ok, I have never used genkernel, and have no desire to...
9
10 I have no idea what dracut is or how to use it...
11
12 I have a remote system that has /usr on a separate partition.
13
14 So...
15
16 How do I find out if I am actually *using* an initramfs right now (I
17 know it is built into the kernel), and
18
19 If I am not, how do I do this without using genkernel? Is dracut t he
20 only other option? Is it easy/trivial to set one up manually?
21
22 I cannot imagine that gentoo is just going to throw me to the wolves
23 like this without providing *in-depth* instructions on how to make sure
24 my system will boot after this update, like they did with the
25 baselayout-2 update...