From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer@×××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:57:04
1 On 17/03/2012 14:50, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2012-03-17 12:11 AM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
3 > <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> An initramfs which does this is created by
5 >>> =sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
6 >>> =sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be
7 >> sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.
8 >
9 > Ok, I have never used genkernel, and have no desire to...
10 >
11 > I have no idea what dracut is or how to use it...
12 >
13 > I have a remote system that has /usr on a separate partition.
14 >
15 > So...
16 >
17 > How do I find out if I am actually *using* an initramfs right now (I
18 > know it is built into the kernel), and
19 >
20 > If I am not, how do I do this without using genkernel? Is dracut t he
21 > only other option? Is it easy/trivial to set one up manually?
22 >
23 > I cannot imagine that gentoo is just going to throw me to the wolves
24 > like this without providing *in-depth* instructions on how to make sure
25 > my system will boot after this update, like they did with the
26 > baselayout-2 update...
27 >
28 genkernel is pretty simple to use if you ask me.
29 just
30
31 emerege genkernel
32
33 and then use
34
35 genkerenl --menuconfig all
36
37 it will do everything for you the same as in a regular kernel compiling.
38
39 you have instructions on how to use genkernel on the handbook.
40
41 Regards,
42 Eliezer