From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 03:26:19
1 On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Feel free to set me straight tho. As long as you don't tell me my
5 >>> system is broken and has not been able to boot for the last 9 years
6 >>> without one of those things. ROFL
7 >> Nobody's telling you _your_ system, as in the collection of programs
8 >> you use for your productivity, is broken. What we're saying is that
9 >> _the_ system, as in the general practice as compared to the
10 >> specification, is broken. Those are two _very_ different things.
11 >
12 > From what I have read, they are saying what has worked for decades has
13 > been broken the whole time. Doesn't matter that it works for millions
14 > of users, its broken.
15
16 Yes, that is exactly what they are saying. What I am pointing out,
17 however, is that there is, informally, a _technical meaning_ for the
18 word "broken", which is that "the specs don't match the
19 implementation". And in the case of /usr, the specs don't match the
20 implementation. For like, maybe all of the Linuxen.
21
22 > They say it is broken so they can "fix it" with a
23 > init thingy for EVERYONE. Sorry, that's like telling me my car has been
24 > broken for the last ten years when I have been driving it to town and it
25 > runs just fine.
26
27 NOBODY is telling you your system or that the systems of millions of
28 users out there aren't booting. You're assigning emotional baggage to
29 technical language.
30
31 To push your analogy, oh, your car is working just fine. Now anyone
32 with a pair of spark plugs and a few tools may be able to start it
33 without you, but your startup _works_. Now imagine some German
34 engineer caring nothing about you lowly driver, and caring more about
35 the car as a system, and he goes using fancy words like
36 "authentication systems" and declaring that "all cars have a flaw", or
37 more incensingly, "car security is fundamentally broken" (Cue angry
38 hordes of owners pitchfork and torching his house).
39
40 Thing is, he's right, and if he worked out some way for software to
41 verify that machine startup was done using the keys rather than spark
42 plugs, he'd be doing future generations a favor in a dramatic
43 reduction of carjackings. And if somehow it became mandated for future
44 cars to have this added in addition to airbags and whatnot, it'd annoy
45 the hell out of car makers but overall still be a good thing.
46
47 And here the analogy is holding up: NOBODY is breaking into your car
48 and forcefully installing some authentication system in its startup.
49 And NOBODY is breaking into your servers and forcing you to switch to
50 udev/systemd or merged /usr. You can still happily plow along with
51 your system as is. Heck, you can even install current udev without
52 changing your partition setup. Just modify the ebuild and have it
53 install it into / instead of /usr. Or use an early bootup script. Or
54 use an init thingy.
57 > The udev/systemd people sound like politicians.
58
59 If anything, Lennart is the worst possible politician on the planet.
60 He makes unpopular decisions, mucks around in stuff people don't want
61 touched, talks snide and derisively, etc etc etc, because he's a
62 nerd's nerd that knows nothing about PR and goodwill. The software is
63 good, but that's about all he knows how to write. He's like DJB on
64 crack.
65 --
66 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
67 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
68 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none