From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 16:15:13
1 Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Mark David Dumlao wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> Feel free to set me straight tho. As long as you don't tell me my
6 >>>> system is broken and has not been able to boot for the last 9 years
7 >>>> without one of those things. ROFL
8 >>> Nobody's telling you _your_ system, as in the collection of programs
9 >>> you use for your productivity, is broken. What we're saying is that
10 >>> _the_ system, as in the general practice as compared to the
11 >>> specification, is broken. Those are two _very_ different things.
12 >> From what I have read, they are saying what has worked for decades has
13 >> been broken the whole time. Doesn't matter that it works for millions
14 >> of users, its broken.
15 > Yes, that is exactly what they are saying. What I am pointing out,
16 > however, is that there is, informally, a _technical meaning_ for the
17 > word "broken", which is that "the specs don't match the
18 > implementation". And in the case of /usr, the specs don't match the
19 > implementation. For like, maybe all of the Linuxen.
20 >
21 >> They say it is broken so they can "fix it" with a
22 >> init thingy for EVERYONE. Sorry, that's like telling me my car has been
23 >> broken for the last ten years when I have been driving it to town and it
24 >> runs just fine.
25 > NOBODY is telling you your system or that the systems of millions of
26 > users out there aren't booting. You're assigning emotional baggage to
27 > technical language.
28 >
29 > To push your analogy, oh, your car is working just fine. Now anyone
30 > with a pair of spark plugs and a few tools may be able to start it
31 > without you, but your startup _works_. Now imagine some German
32 > engineer caring nothing about you lowly driver, and caring more about
33 > the car as a system, and he goes using fancy words like
34 > "authentication systems" and declaring that "all cars have a flaw", or
35 > more incensingly, "car security is fundamentally broken" (Cue angry
36 > hordes of owners pitchfork and torching his house).
37 >
38 > Thing is, he's right, and if he worked out some way for software to
39 > verify that machine startup was done using the keys rather than spark
40 > plugs, he'd be doing future generations a favor in a dramatic
41 > reduction of carjackings. And if somehow it became mandated for future
42 > cars to have this added in addition to airbags and whatnot, it'd annoy
43 > the hell out of car makers but overall still be a good thing.
44 >
45 > And here the analogy is holding up: NOBODY is breaking into your car
46 > and forcefully installing some authentication system in its startup.
47 > And NOBODY is breaking into your servers and forcing you to switch to
48 > udev/systemd or merged /usr. You can still happily plow along with
49 > your system as is. Heck, you can even install current udev without
50 > changing your partition setup. Just modify the ebuild and have it
51 > install it into / instead of /usr. Or use an early bootup script. Or
52 > use an init thingy.
53 >
54 >> The udev/systemd people sound like politicians.
55 > If anything, Lennart is the worst possible politician on the planet.
56 > He makes unpopular decisions, mucks around in stuff people don't want
57 > touched, talks snide and derisively, etc etc etc, because he's a
58 > nerd's nerd that knows nothing about PR and goodwill. The software is
59 > good, but that's about all he knows how to write. He's like DJB on
60 > crack.
61 > --
62 > This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
63 > Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
64 > Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none
68 I think your analogy actually proves my point. Instead of just getting
69 in the car and turning the key, they want to reinvent the engine and how
70 it works. It doesn't matter that it is and has been working for decades,
71
72 Thanks for proving my point tho. LOL
73
74 Dale
75
79 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!