From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:48:37
1 On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Mark David Dumlao wrote:
5 >>>> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>>> Feel free to set me straight tho. As long as you don't tell me my
7 >>>>> system is broken and has not been able to boot for the last 9 years
8 >>>>> without one of those things. ROFL
9 >>>> Nobody's telling you _your_ system, as in the collection of programs
10 >>>> you use for your productivity, is broken. What we're saying is that
11 >>>> _the_ system, as in the general practice as compared to the
12 >>>> specification, is broken. Those are two _very_ different things.
13 >>> From what I have read, they are saying what has worked for decades has
14 >>> been broken the whole time. Doesn't matter that it works for millions
15 >>> of users, its broken.
16 >> Yes, that is exactly what they are saying. What I am pointing out,
17 >> however, is that there is, informally, a _technical meaning_ for the
18 >> word "broken", which is that "the specs don't match the
19 >> implementation". And in the case of /usr, the specs don't match the
20 >> implementation. For like, maybe all of the Linuxen.
21 >>
22 >>> They say it is broken so they can "fix it" with a
23 >>> init thingy for EVERYONE. Sorry, that's like telling me my car has been
24 >>> broken for the last ten years when I have been driving it to town and it
25 >>> runs just fine.
26 >> NOBODY is telling you your system or that the systems of millions of
27 >> users out there aren't booting. You're assigning emotional baggage to
28 >> technical language.
29 >>
30 >> To push your analogy, oh, your car is working just fine. Now anyone
31 >> with a pair of spark plugs and a few tools may be able to start it
32 >> without you, but your startup _works_. Now imagine some German
33 >> engineer caring nothing about you lowly driver, and caring more about
34 >> the car as a system, and he goes using fancy words like
35 >> "authentication systems" and declaring that "all cars have a flaw", or
36 >> more incensingly, "car security is fundamentally broken" (Cue angry
37 >> hordes of owners pitchfork and torching his house).
38 >>
39 >> Thing is, he's right, and if he worked out some way for software to
40 >> verify that machine startup was done using the keys rather than spark
41 >> plugs, he'd be doing future generations a favor in a dramatic
42 >> reduction of carjackings. And if somehow it became mandated for future
43 >> cars to have this added in addition to airbags and whatnot, it'd annoy
44 >> the hell out of car makers but overall still be a good thing.
45 >
46 > I think your analogy actually proves my point. Instead of just getting
47 > in the car and turning the key, they want to reinvent the engine and how
48 > it works. It doesn't matter that it is and has been working for decades,
49
50 I think your reaction proves my point about angry mobs torching his
51 home without understanding what's being proposed. Your fine reading
52 comprehension once again failed to catch the notion that in my
53 analogy, all he invented was a mechanism that makes sure it was a key,
54 not a spark plug, that did the starting. i.e., you're asking literally
55 for a turnkey system, and that's literally what he invented, except
56 that the system guarantees that it's a key that was turned.
57
58 You have not said a THING about your misunderstanding of the use of
59 the word _broken_ and you're continuing to peddle your hate-boner even
60 after it's been shown that you're confused.
63 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
64 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
65 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none