From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Calculating world dependencies" taking forever first time
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 06:31:30
1 Benno Schulenberg wrote:
2 > Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >> Benno Schulenberg wrote:
4 >> > Walter Dnes wrote:
5 >> >> several minutes at "Calculating world dependencies",
6 >> >
7 >> > You upgraded portage. The einfos said to run 'emerge
8 >> > --metadata' first thing.
9 >>
10 >> I'm also seeing this from time to time - "emerge -Duvat world"
11 >> just seems to take forever at the "Calculating world
12 >> dependencies" after I ran "eix-sync" which includes "emerge
13 >> --sync". And I haven't updated portage. Any ideas?
14 >
15 > You're still at portage-2.0.*?
16
17 No. Portage 2.1.1_pre1-r1
18
19 > The latest versions of those were
20 > known to be terribly slow at updating the cache. Sometimes.
21
22 Just like the current version, it seems? :) Yesterday, it took
23 about 30 Minutes to do "Calculating world dependencies". That *IS*
24 slow.
25
26 >> I don't think it's a missing "emerge --metadata", as the metadata
27 >> generation is included when running "emerge --sync" (Updating
28 >> Portage cache: 100%), isn't it?
29 >
30 > Hrrrm.
31
32 Pardon?
33
34 > Yes it was a missing "emerge --metadata".
35
36 Sure? What's done in the "Updating Portage cache" step? Why is
37 "man emerge" saying, that --metadata is (sort of) run after a
38 --sync?
39
40 So, as I said, it's certainly not a missing --metadata run. What's
41 causing emerge to be so terribly slow sometimes? It's also not a
42 matter of load - I had nothing intensive running at this time, just
43 emerge, firefox (no flash site shown), thunderbird. In top, emerge
44 was shown as the most active process.
45
46 > You will see when
47 > you upgrade.
48
49 Can't be done. This happened from time to time again for a long period
50 now. And it happens with the current version.
51
52 Alexander Skwar
53 --
54 Time will end all my troubles, but I don't always approve of Time's methods.
55 --
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list