From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 20:33:14
1 On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Thomas Rösner wrote:
2
3 > Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
4 >> On Thursday 30 November 2006 10:22, Jorge Almeida wrote:
7 >> > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Dale wrote:
8 >> >
9 >> > > used epiphany before. What's it look like?
10 >> > >
11 >> > Have no idea, I didn't tried either. Being something from Gnome, I
12 >> > suspect it's not very customizable, but I may be completely wrong.
13 >> >
14 >
15 > If all apps were like Epiphany, Gnome wouldn't be beaten around that much, me
16 > thinks (and I wouldn't use ROX-Filer instead of Nautilus). If you want to try
17 > something fresh, perhaps you find this article gives you an impulse:
18 >
19 > http://ploum.frimouvy.org/?2006/03/15/100-why-you-should-try-epiphany-as-your-default-browser-with-gnome-214
20 >
21 Thanks for your suggestion, Thomas, but the key word is "with-gnome". I
22 won't comment on the customizability of Epiphany, since I haven't tried
23 it. But I checked that it requires a lot of Gnome dependencies, which
24 I'm not willing to install. And I use KDE, not because I find it perfect
25 but because AFAIK it's the only DE that has two features that for me are
26 a must: (1) Several virtual desktops, plus the possibility to switch
27 desktops via configurable keyboard shortcuts, and (2) the possibility of
28 setting different background images for different desktops.
29 The latter is not just a matter of eye candy, it's just how I see which
30 virtual desktop is the current one.
31
32 I don't think Gnome can do this, at least not unless you're a
33 guru-wizard, which I'm not.
34
35 Cheers.
36 --