From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] File transfer via USB?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 16:06:31
1 On 2021-04-22 14:27-0000 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > I'm trying to figure out a convenient way to transfer files between a
5 > Linux machine (running Gentoo) and a Windows 10 machine (which has no
6 > internet access). IP connection between the machines is not allowed.
7
8 The easiest solution would be to connect both machines with an ethernet
9 cable and run samba on Linux. The interfaces will be configured with a
10 link-local address¹ automatically.
11
12 > Yes, I can shuffle a USB flash drive back and forth, but that's
13 > really annoying.
14 >
15 > Can I run an MTP server on a Linux host and connect a USB-C port on
16 > the Linux machine to the USB-C port on the Windows machine (assuming
17 > the Linux port is dual-role, which I need to confirm).
18
19 If USB connections between the 2 machines are allowed then “IP
20 connection between the machines is not allowed” surely does not apply
21 to direct ethernet connections between the 2 machines?
22
23 ¹ <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address>
26 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
27 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.