From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: File transfer via USB?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 16:29:45
1 On 2021-04-22, tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 2021-04-22 14:27-0000 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm trying to figure out a convenient way to transfer files between a
6 >> Linux machine (running Gentoo) and a Windows 10 machine (which has no
7 >> internet access). IP connection between the machines is not allowed.
8 >
9 > The easiest solution would be to connect both machines with an ethernet
10 > cable and run samba on Linux. The interfaces will be configured with a
11 > link-local address¹ automatically.
12
13 That won't use IP?
14
15 >> Yes, I can shuffle a USB flash drive back and forth, but that's
16 >> really annoying.
17 >>
18 >> Can I run an MTP server on a Linux host and connect a USB-C port on
19 >> the Linux machine to the USB-C port on the Windows machine (assuming
20 >> the Linux port is dual-role, which I need to confirm).
21 >
22 > If USB connections between the 2 machines are allowed then “IP
23 > connection between the machines is not allowed” surely does not apply
24 > to direct ethernet connections between the 2 machines?
25
26 I was told that it did.
27
28 It's possible that a local point-to-point Ethernet connection with a
29 non-IP protocol would work.
30
31 One idea was to configure a Raspberry py with USB port in gadget mode
32 and run an MTP server for use by the Windows side. The Linux side can
33 use NFS or whatever. If the Linux machine had USB ports that
34 supported gadget mode (or USB-C dual-role), then I could just run the
35 MTP server on it, but I'm doubtful that's the case.
36
37 However, I've done some testing, and the description of the situation
38 that I was given doesn't seem to to be correct, so I think my initial
39 question is (at least for the moment) moot.
42 Grant