From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Gentoo system has become unstable and unusable - help, please!
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:50:05
1 On 12 Feb, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >> > Hi, Gentoo,
5 >
6 >> > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
7 >
8 >> > The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst emerging
9 >> > the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging Openbox
10 >> > instead.
11 >
12 >> > Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes, I
13 >> > know there's a binary for this).
17 >> everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware,
18 >> especially RAM closely followed by PSU.
19 >
20 >> Swap them out with known good items and test thoroughly *before* doing
21 >> anything else.
22 >
23 > I hope you're not right here. ;-) The hardware is spanking brand new;
24 > so new, in fact, that it's still gleaming.
25 >
26 > Are there any handy utility programs around to test RAM exhaustively?
27
28 I have made good experience with sys-apps/memtester. If you have not
29 more than 4 Gb RAM, you can use the SystemRescueCD.
30 Otherwise the GRML64 RescueCD has a true 64 bit version of memtester.
31
32 I have made the experience that memtester finds errors more quickly than
33 memtest86+ .
34
35 Helmut.
39 Helmut Jarausch