From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Gentoo system has become unstable and unusable - help, please!
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:40:00
1 On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > > Hi, Gentoo,
4
5 > > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
6
7 > > The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst emerging
8 > > the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging Openbox
9 > > instead.
10
11 > > Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes, I
12 > > know there's a binary for this).
16 > everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware,
17 > especially RAM closely followed by PSU.
18
19 > Swap them out with known good items and test thoroughly *before* doing
20 > anything else.
21
22 I hope you're not right here. ;-) The hardware is spanking brand new;
23 so new, in fact, that it's still gleaming.
24
25 Are there any handy utility programs around to test RAM exhaustively?
26
28
29 > --
30 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com