From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gmail smtp overwrites the sender
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:19:14
1 On Mar 11, 2012 10:08 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11/03/12 16:49, Pandu Poluan wrote:
6 >> On Mar 11, 2012 3:59 AM, "András Csányi" <sayusi.ando@×××××.com
7 >> <mailto:sayusi.ando@×××××.com>> wrote:
8 >> >
9 >> > Dear All,
10 >> >
11 >> > I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send
12 >> > my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu <http://sayusi.hu>, and
13 >> the email address is
14 >> > sayusi.ando@××××××.hu <mailto:sayusi.ando@××××××.hu>. Unfortunately,
15 >>
16 >> gmail smtp always overwrite the
17 >> > sender email address. If I would like to subscribe for a mailing list
18 >> > with this email address and the email is sent from my local machine
19 >> > the respond always comes to my gmail address which used to
20 >> > authenticate.
21 >> >
22 >> > I have tried to set up my gmail account but doesn't matter what the
23 >> > setup is the sender always will be overwrite. Do you know any solution
24 >> > for this?
25 >> >
26 >> > Thanks in advance!
27 >> >
28 >> > András
29 >> >
30 >>
31 >> See my email address? It's actually sent from Gmail. BUT, I have my own
32 >> hosted website (with its own SMTP server).
33 >>
34 >> Without your own SMTP server, Gmail will always send your email as
35 >> "someone@×××××.com <mailto:someone@×××××.com> on behalf of
36 >> someone@××××××××××.com <mailto:someone@××××××××××.com>".
39 > That's also wrong. I use "From:" addresses that don't have any SMTP
40 associated with them. GMail only touches the "Sender:" address, not the
41 "From:" address.
45 Yes, header-wise, the "From:" is not changed.
46
47 But, client-side, especially on Thunderbird and Outlook/Outlook Express,
48 the *display* From: will look like that.
49
50 Rgds,