From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gmail smtp overwrites the sender
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:06:45
1 On 11/03/12 16:49, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mar 11, 2012 3:59 AM, "András Csányi" <sayusi.ando@×××××.com
4 > <mailto:sayusi.ando@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Dear All,
7 > >
8 > > I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send
9 > > my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu <http://sayusi.hu>, and
10 > the email address is
11 > > sayusi.ando@××××××.hu <mailto:sayusi.ando@××××××.hu>. Unfortunately,
12 > gmail smtp always overwrite the
13 > > sender email address. If I would like to subscribe for a mailing list
14 > > with this email address and the email is sent from my local machine
15 > > the respond always comes to my gmail address which used to
16 > > authenticate.
17 > >
18 > > I have tried to set up my gmail account but doesn't matter what the
19 > > setup is the sender always will be overwrite. Do you know any solution
20 > > for this?
21 > >
22 > > Thanks in advance!
23 > >
24 > > András
27 > See my email address? It's actually sent from Gmail. BUT, I have my own
28 > hosted website (with its own SMTP server).
29 >
30 > Without your own SMTP server, Gmail will always send your email as
31 > "someone@×××××.com <mailto:someone@×××××.com> on behalf of
32 > someone@××××××××××.com <mailto:someone@××××××××××.com>".
33
34 That's also wrong. I use "From:" addresses that don't have any SMTP
35 associated with them. GMail only touches the "Sender:" address, not the
36 "From:" address.