From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev blocks systemd etc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 19:47:27
1 > From a technical point of view (the quality of the code and the time
2 > it takes to fix bugs), I believe everyone (even Lennart's most fervent
3 > detractors) will agree that systemd is a superb piece of software. The
4 > problem is the philosophy behind it; if you agree with said
5 > philosophy, systemd is great. Otherwise, is a new fangled beast which
6 > goes against everything that UNIX stands for (whatever that means), "a
7 > solution for a problem no one has", and "fixing something that wasn't
8 > broken".
11 I won't start this up again, there is lots of info out there. LWN
12 and this lists archives maybe reasonable for some for and against
13 arguments. This post is as bad as Lennarts myth busting post which
14 avoided all the real issues and skirted around the ones he did mention.
15
16 The real drive behind systemd is enterprise cloud type computing for
17 Red Hat. The rest is snake oil and much of the features already exist
18 without systemd. With more snake oil of promises of faster boot up on a
19 portion of the code which is already fast and gains you maybe two
20 seconds.
21
22 > 3. "is openrc just a dead project is that why?"
25 Not even close, systemd is one of the least used init systems. The
26 question you should ask yourself is why would anyone talk about the fact
27 they are using OpenRC. Having said that I do hate all the symlinking
28 rubbish many linux (not OpenRC) uses but would bear it over systemds
29 technical flaws.
30
31 So there you have it complete contradictions which mean you should make
32 up your own mind, even if it is easier for the more advanced arguments
33 against it to be overlooked.
34
35 > Is not dead; it has new releases and stuff. Just not many features are
36 > implemented to it, and it has some pretty awkward bugs, some of them
37 > years old, like not being able to start services in parallel.
40 There is arguably more weight to the argument of an init system that
41 does parallel starting being a bug.
42
43 What do you gain, speed? and complexity, what do you lose reliability
44 and predictability.
45
46 If you cause disk churn it *may* even be slower too such as windows
47 tools that stage autostarts.
48
49 Do one thing and do it well and you are more likely to make it into
50 every Unix-like OS for good not so obvious reasons.
51
52 I hope this doesn't start into another discusssion just know that there
53 are many arguments badly represented by Canek to research if you want
54 your answer.
58
59 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
60 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
61 universal interface'
62
63 (Doug McIlroy)