From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev blocks systemd etc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:09:14
1 On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Jake Margason <jmargason758@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I ran away from Arch last year to get away from all this systemd stuff. I
3 > hope that you guys will continue to support openrc for as long as possible.
4
5 Don't do top posting, please.
6
7 > One question though. why does everyone seem to be migrating towards systemd?
8 > How is it superior? is openrc just a dead project is that why?
9
10 That's three questions ;)
11
12 1. "why does everyone seem to be migrating towards systemd?"
13
14 Not everyone is migrating towards systemd (yet), but the trend is
15 certainly that more and more distros switch to it or at least offer it
16 as a first class alternative to whatever other init system they use.
17 As for why, I think it's for two reasons: a) it works, b) upstream
18 udev merged with systemd, and most distros just follow upstream.
19
20 2. "How is it superior?"
21
22 Well, that's the pickle. If you are like me, then systemd it's
23 superior to OpenRC basically in every single way. If you are one of
24 the people that thinks that something called "the UNIX way" actually
25 exists, or that "Linux/Gentoo is about choice", or that we should care
26 about our *BSD cousins keeping up with us, then systemd is far
27 inferior.
28
29 From a technical point of view (the quality of the code and the time
30 it takes to fix bugs), I believe everyone (even Lennart's most fervent
31 detractors) will agree that systemd is a superb piece of software. The
32 problem is the philosophy behind it; if you agree with said
33 philosophy, systemd is great. Otherwise, is a new fangled beast which
34 goes against everything that UNIX stands for (whatever that means), "a
35 solution for a problem no one has", and "fixing something that wasn't
36 broken".
37
38 3. "is openrc just a dead project is that why?"
39
40 Is not dead; it has new releases and stuff. Just not many features are
41 implemented to it, and it has some pretty awkward bugs, some of them
42 years old, like not being able to start services in parallel.
43
44 It's obviously better that SysV. From my point of view, that's not enough.
45
46 Hope it helps.
47
48 Regards.