From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev blocks systemd etc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:57:51
1 On 03/27/2013 01:08 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Jake Margason <jmargason758@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I ran away from Arch last year to get away from all this systemd stuff. I
4 >> hope that you guys will continue to support openrc for as long as possible.
5 >
6 > Don't do top posting, please.
7 >
8 >> One question though. why does everyone seem to be migrating towards systemd?
9 >> How is it superior? is openrc just a dead project is that why?
10 >
11 > That's three questions ;)
12 >
13 > 1. "why does everyone seem to be migrating towards systemd?"
14 >
15 > Not everyone is migrating towards systemd (yet), but the trend is
16 > certainly that more and more distros switch to it or at least offer it
17 > as a first class alternative to whatever other init system they use.
18 > As for why, I think it's for two reasons: a) it works, b) upstream
19 > udev merged with systemd, and most distros just follow upstream.
20 >
21 > 2. "How is it superior?"
22 >
23 > Well, that's the pickle. If you are like me, then systemd it's
24 > superior to OpenRC basically in every single way. If you are one of
25 > the people that thinks that something called "the UNIX way" actually
26 > exists, or that "Linux/Gentoo is about choice", or that we should care
27 > about our *BSD cousins keeping up with us, then systemd is far
28 > inferior.
29 >
30 > From a technical point of view (the quality of the code and the time
31 > it takes to fix bugs), I believe everyone (even Lennart's most fervent
32 > detractors) will agree that systemd is a superb piece of software. The
33 > problem is the philosophy behind it; if you agree with said
34 > philosophy, systemd is great. Otherwise, is a new fangled beast which
35 > goes against everything that UNIX stands for (whatever that means), "a
36 > solution for a problem no one has", and "fixing something that wasn't
37 > broken".
38 >
39 > 3. "is openrc just a dead project is that why?"
40 >
41 > Is not dead; it has new releases and stuff. Just not many features are
42 > implemented to it, and it has some pretty awkward bugs, some of them
43 > years old, like not being able to start services in parallel.
44 >
45 > It's obviously better that SysV. From my point of view, that's not enough.
46 >
47 > Hope it helps.
48 >
49 > Regards.
52 A nice, reasonably even-handed writeup. :)