From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fontconfig messed up my fonts
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 08:34:52
1 On 05.03.2013 01:39, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 04/03/2013 22:48, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
3 >> Hello gentoo users,
4 >>
5 >> Today I updated my system, including fontconfig from 2.9.0 to the
6 >> latest unstable 2.10.2, and after reboot I was quite unhappy to see
7 >> all my fonts become ugly, well, can't describe exactly, kind of as
8 >> if back in 1980s. (not that antialiasing disappeared or bad
9 >> hinting, it was just the fonts being ugly -- a well antialiased,
10 >> hi-res crap) I don't know the reason, but I don't think the problem
11 >> was in the /etc/fonts/conf.d settings, at least I didn't notice
12 >> major changes after the update (using diff). And all the stuff like
13 >> lcdfilter remained enabled. I didn't have any special settings,
14 >> neither in /etc/fonts/conf.d, nor in my home dir or elsewhere,
15 >> because I really enjoyed the default rendering style. So after all
16 >> I downgraded fontconfig and the fonts' rendering is restored and
17 >> now I enjoy it again, so I deem the issue to be the problem of the
18 >> fontconfig-2.10.2 package. Regardless of whether it's
19 >> configuration- or library-related, with the latter more likely,
20 >> one wouldn't like package updates to break existing setups. P.S.
21 >> I've just thought it could be fonts cache which I noticed to
22 >> contain entries as old as September, but if the new package can not
23 >> work with old cache, I believe its ebuild should clear it,
24 >> shouldn't it?
25 >
26 > Well, it's probably not fontconfig, it's more likely the GUI
27 > software you use that has issues.
28
29 It's hard to imagine a modern GUI software rendering fonts bypassing the
30 font rendering engine. It's not kind of pixel-art, you know :)
31 And moreover, see below.
32
33 > fontconfig-2.10.2 is fine here with KDE-4.10 apps and most of
34 > Mozilla's stuff.
35
36 I have updated @world to unstable as of the date I was writing, incl.
37 latest KDE and *zillas.
38
39 > What GUI software do you run that has issues? And is it ALL apps, or
40 > just a few you use often and might notice it more?
41
42 Yes, it is ALL apps. That's why I almost immediately began to blame
43 fontconfig, and eventually downgraded it.
44
45 Again, as usual, the problem occurring with my setup is not due to occur
46 with another one's, it might be the stars misaligned corrupting bytes in
47 memory during compilation, or whatever, but the evident cause was
48 fontconfig because otherwise I can't explain how downgrading it did help.
51 Best wishes,
52 Yuri K. Shatroff