From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: My laptop is freaking me out.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:48:49
1 Ian K wrote:
2
3 >Oh yes, I should also note that this seems to only happen in KDE,
4 >not XFCE or FluxBox. I perosnally dont care for GNOME so I haven't
5 >tried it. But I did notice that when I briefly had Ubuntu on this laptop,
6 >I did not have these issues. Is KDE the culprit?
10 Probably not KDE, but possibly X itself. Maybe it isn't the CPU, but
11 the GPU that is overheating.
12
13 The radeon driver has a "DynamicClocks" setting (man radeon). Do you
14 have this option in your xorg.conf file?
15
16 >PS>> With those temperatures, I do have all available options under
17 >ACPI enabled, however, GKrellm2 says in the info tab that no such
18 >sensors were found. I am also on Kernel 2.6.13-rc1-mm1. Is that
19 >too bleeding edge? :)
23 Do you have /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM*/temperature? If so, just do:
24
25 while sleep 2 ; do clear ; cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM*/temperature;
26 done
27
28 Again, did you check /var/log/messages to see if anything interesting
29 shows up there. If you have Machine Check Exception options in your
30 kernel, many overheating, fan, or voltage problems should get reported
31 there.
32
33 -Richard
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list