From: Ian K <omega_2_1@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: My laptop is freaking me out.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:18:22
1 James wrote:
2
3 >Ian K <omega_2_1 <at> yahoo.ca> writes:
7 >>Hi there.
8 >>My new laptop (Toshiba A70) is seriously weirding me out.
9 >>It seems to be turning off (randomly?) while in KDE. I cannot
10 >>distinguish any patterns uptime-wise, nor is it an actual power
11 >>failure.
15 >I just had this idetical problem with a Clevo (2.8GHz) p4 portable,
16 >with a 2.6.11-gento-r11 kernel.
17 >
18 >I built a new kernel on 2.6.12-gentoo-r4 and the problem has disappeared.
19 >
20 >I'm too busy to look at the diffs between the .config files, but, if
21 >you want them, I'll send them to you. I'm quite certain it was something
22 >in the kernel, acpi would be my guess..... Building a new kernel, and
23 >selecting everything from scratch did the trick. The weird thing is
24 >I run 2.6.11-gentoo-r11 on several other machines, and had no problem.
27 >James
33 Oh yes, I should also note that this seems to only happen in KDE,
34 not XFCE or FluxBox. I perosnally dont care for GNOME so I haven't
35 tried it. But I did notice that when I briefly had Ubuntu on this laptop,
36 I did not have these issues. Is KDE the culprit?
37 Thanks!
38
39 PS>> With those temperatures, I do have all available options under
40 ACPI enabled, however, GKrellm2 says in the info tab that no such
41 sensors were found. I am also on Kernel 2.6.13-rc1-mm1. Is that
42 too bleeding edge? :)

omega_2_1.vcf text/x-vcard