From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] evince doesn't display check-mark symbol
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 03:08:52
1 On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 08:12:54PM -0600, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I think so too, that that is why I'm puzzled.
3 > Here is the form.
4
5 Thanks for attaching the document, but it's huge ! I placed the emphasis on
6 _minimal_ for a reason. ;-)
7
8 Anyway, I'm able to replicate this, and I'd say it's likely to be a bug in
9 Evince. Using GhostScript [1] to retroactively embed all the fonts allows
10 Evince to render it without issue, pointing to an issue causing it to avoid
13 gs \
14 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 \
15 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen \
16 -dCompressFonts=true \
17 -dSubsetFonts=true \
18 -dNOPAUSE \
19 -dBATCH \
20 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
21 -sOutputFile=form-fixed.pdf \
22 -c ".setpdfwrite <</NeverEmbed [ ]>> setdistillerparams" \
23 -f form-original.pdf
24
25 Although, having to do this on all your documents is obviously suboptimal, and
26 also can make them quite a bit larger. Strangely, after testing on my Manjaro
27 QEMU virtual machine, everything behaves correctly; the P.D.F.\ without embedded
28 Dingbats renders correctly.
29
30 [Solution]
31
32 Evince is substituting ZapfDingbats with another font. On my system, this is
33 Liberation Sans Regular (Properties->Fonts->ZapfDingbats). This means that
34 Evince cannot find the font "ZapfDingbats". To rectify this, download "ITC Zapf
35 Dingbats" from [2] and unzip the two files into ~/.local/share/fonts or
36 /usr/share/fonts.
37
38 However, "ZapfDingbats" and "ITC Zapf Dingbats" have a slight name mismatch,
39 which will still cause Evince to substitute it with an unsuitable alternative.
40 Fontconfig allows you to alias fonts using its standard XML configuration
41 method. Add the following to /etc/fonts/local.conf (create the file if it does
42 not exist):
43
44 <?xml version="1.0"?>
45 <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
46 <fontconfig>
47 <alias>
48 <family>ZapfDingbats</family>
51 </alias>
52 </fontconfig>
53
54 This will cause Evince to load the document correctly. You might have to run
55 `fc-cache` after you've created the <alias> stanza, although I doubt it.
56
57 Does this fix it ?
58
59 [1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/2981689