From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Where has my sound gone?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 03:43:36
1 On Sunday 11 September 2011 23:31:18 walt wrote:
2
3 > Does alsa-info give any useful messages?
4
5 An encyclopaedia-full of info, among which I see "No sound servers found".
6
7 > How about dmesg or syslog?
8
9 Dmsg shows the hardware being set up OK; syslog nothing.
10
11 > Did you keep any of the useflags from your old make.conf?
12
13 No; that was the point, or part of it. I decided to remove all USE flags
14 except hardware ones, then add back in any that turned out to be needed.
15 Looks like you've spotted the one I need - thanks. I don't know why I didn't
16 think of that - so easy with hindsight.
17
18 I've added USE=alsa and I'm remerging world now. Let's hope I'll be able to
19 listen to my favourite BBC Radio 3 soon!
22 Rgds
23 Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23