From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:14:01
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Just don't buy a SAMSUNG drive. I know, I know, everyone has their pet
3 > "Don't Buy Hard Drives Made By $x" experience.
4
5 On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > I seem to have good luck with WD and Maxtor myself.
7
8 Seagate and Western Digital have bought (or are in process of buying)
9 all of the other HDD manufacturers, except for Toshiba.
10
11 Seagate = Conner, Quantum, Maxtor, Samsung
12 Western Digital = Hitachi (= IBM)
13
14 Toshiba still stands alone, as far as I know, but they don't compete
15 in the consumer HDD market so, for your purposes, they don't exist
16 (unless you're building a large and expensive SAS array in your
17 house). :)