From: YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Init Scripts Not Starting
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 18:54:28
1 On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:53:18AM -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:17 AM, YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 08:31:08PM -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
5 > > > Hey list,
6 > > >
7 > > > A little while after I compiled Gnome and got things running, I lost the
8 > > > ability to add scripts to the default runlevel. I can run rc-update add
9 > > > xdm default, for example, and the xdm symlink will appear in
10 > > > /etc/runlevels/default, and that symlink will indeed point to
11 > > > /etc/init.d/xdm, but xdm will not start. Further to that, there's no
12 > > > evidence to indicate that RC is even trying to start it. No errors, no
13 > > > logs, no nothing. Same goes for virtualbox-guest-additions and sysklogd.
14 > > > I tried logging rc and got absolutely nowhere. There's nothing overt in
15 > > > dmesg either.
16 > > >
17 > > > The really fun part is these scripts function perfectly if I run them
18 > > after
19 > > > boot.
20 > > >
21 > > > Since there's no evidence of this problem in any logs or during the
22 > > startup
23 > > > process, I assume there is no problem and I am doing it wrong.
24 > >
25 > > Is it possible that you are booting into a different runlevel that
26 > > default ? (there's a softlevel=... kernel cmdline parameter)
27 > >
28 > > What happens if (after boot) you just run
29 > >
30 > > rc
31 > >
32 > > (should start all service in the current runlevel, that are not
33 > > started yet) or
34 > >
35 > > rc default
36 > >
37 > > (should swithc to 'default' runlevel and start all services) ?
38 > >
39 > > Could you post the output of rc-status -a ?
40 > > And maybe also grep rc /etc/inittab ?
41 > >
42 > > For xdm there is one additional thing to check: xdm can be disabled
43 > > through a 'nox' kernel cmdline option or an /etc/.noxdm file...
44 > > But in that case the initscript itself should start and just print a
45 > > message, that it is not starting the DM.
46 > >
47 > > yoyo
50 > Hey, thanks for the reply.
51 >
52 > Running rc or rc default returns immediately. I am sure I am starting into
53 > the default runlevel because ntp-client runs on default and it starts no
54 > problem.
55
56 Hmm, the weird thing is that 'rc-status -a' and 'rc-update show' show
57 different things (no xdm and virtualbox-... in the first one) but I have
58 no idea what might be causing that...
59
60 Few random thoughts:
61
62 Did you check the file permissions on those scripts?
63
64 Any pending etc-update stuff (esp. in /etc/init.d) ? (not that it should
65 affect this in any way...)
66
67 If anything else, you can try running 'strace -e trace=file' on
68 rc-status and rc-update show and might notice something there that would
69 explain while those two tools come up with different sets of scripts...
72 You can also look around the dirs/files in /lib/rc/init.d/ to se a more
73 complete state of the rc system... (/lib/rc/init.d/softlevel should show
74 the current runlevel)
75
76 yoyo
80 > Output from grep rc /etc/inittab:
81 > si::sysinit:/sbin/rc sysinit
82 > rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot
83 > l0:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
84 > l1:1:wait:/sbin/rc single
85 > l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
86 > l3:3:wait:/sbin/rc default
87 > l4:4:wait:/sbin/rc default
88 > l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
89 > l6:6:wait:/sbin/rc reboot
90 > su0:S:wait:/sbin/rc single
91 >
92 > Output from rc-status -a:
93 > Runlevel: default
94 > net.eth1 [
95 > started ]
96 > dbus [
97 > started ]
98 > net.eth0 [
99 > started ]
100 > netmount [
101 > started ]
102 > ntp-client [
103 > started ]
104 > sshd [
105 > started ]
106 > udev-postmount [
107 > started ]
108 > local [
109 > started ]
110 > Runlevel: sysinit
111 > dmesg [
112 > started ]
113 > udev [
114 > started ]
115 > devfs [
116 > started ]
117 > Runlevel: boot
118 > hwclock [
119 > started ]
120 > modules [
121 > started ]
122 > fsck [
123 > started ]
124 > root [
125 > started ]
126 > mtab [
127 > started ]
128 > localmount [
129 > started ]
130 > sysctl [
131 > started ]
132 > bootmisc [
133 > started ]
134 > urandom [
135 > started ]
136 > net.lo [
137 > started ]
138 > termencoding [
139 > started ]
140 > swap [
141 > started ]
142 > keymaps [
143 > started ]
144 > hostname [
145 > started ]
146 > procfs [
147 > started ]
148 > Runlevel: shutdown
149 > killprocs [
150 > stopped ]
151 > savecache [
152 > stopped ]
153 > mount-ro [
154 > stopped ]
155 > Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
156 > Dynamic Runlevel: needed
157 > sysfs [
158 > started ]
159 > Dynamic Runlevel: manual
160 >
161 > Output from rc-update show:
162 > bootmisc | boot
163 > dbus | default
164 > devfs | sysinit
165 > dmesg | sysinit
166 > fsck | boot
167 > hostname | boot
168 > hwclock | boot
169 > keymaps | boot
170 > killprocs | shutdown
171 > local | default
172 > localmount | boot
173 > modules | boot
174 > mount-ro | shutdown
175 > mtab | boot
176 > net.eth0 | default
177 > net.eth1 | default
178 > net.lo | boot
179 > netmount | default
180 > ntp-client | default
181 > procfs | boot
182 > root | boot
183 > savecache | shutdown
184 > sshd | default
185 > swap | boot
186 > sysctl | boot
187 > sysklogd | default
188 > termencoding | boot
189 > udev | sysinit
190 > udev-postmount | default
191 > urandom | boot
192 > virtualbox-guest-additions | default
193 > xdm | default
194 > xdm-setup | default