From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Init Scripts Not Starting
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 14:54:55
1 On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:17 AM, YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 08:31:08PM -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
4 > > Hey list,
5 > >
6 > > A little while after I compiled Gnome and got things running, I lost the
7 > > ability to add scripts to the default runlevel. I can run rc-update add
8 > > xdm default, for example, and the xdm symlink will appear in
9 > > /etc/runlevels/default, and that symlink will indeed point to
10 > > /etc/init.d/xdm, but xdm will not start. Further to that, there's no
11 > > evidence to indicate that RC is even trying to start it. No errors, no
12 > > logs, no nothing. Same goes for virtualbox-guest-additions and sysklogd.
13 > > I tried logging rc and got absolutely nowhere. There's nothing overt in
14 > > dmesg either.
15 > >
16 > > The really fun part is these scripts function perfectly if I run them
17 > after
18 > > boot.
19 > >
20 > > Since there's no evidence of this problem in any logs or during the
21 > startup
22 > > process, I assume there is no problem and I am doing it wrong.
23 >
24 > Is it possible that you are booting into a different runlevel that
25 > default ? (there's a softlevel=... kernel cmdline parameter)
26 >
27 > What happens if (after boot) you just run
28 >
29 > rc
30 >
31 > (should start all service in the current runlevel, that are not
32 > started yet) or
33 >
34 > rc default
35 >
36 > (should swithc to 'default' runlevel and start all services) ?
37 >
38 > Could you post the output of rc-status -a ?
39 > And maybe also grep rc /etc/inittab ?
40 >
41 > For xdm there is one additional thing to check: xdm can be disabled
42 > through a 'nox' kernel cmdline option or an /etc/.noxdm file...
43 > But in that case the initscript itself should start and just print a
44 > message, that it is not starting the DM.
45 >
46 > yoyo
49 Hey, thanks for the reply.
50
51 Running rc or rc default returns immediately. I am sure I am starting into
52 the default runlevel because ntp-client runs on default and it starts no
53 problem.
54
55 Output from grep rc /etc/inittab:
56 si::sysinit:/sbin/rc sysinit
57 rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot
58 l0:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
59 l1:1:wait:/sbin/rc single
60 l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
61 l3:3:wait:/sbin/rc default
62 l4:4:wait:/sbin/rc default
63 l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
64 l6:6:wait:/sbin/rc reboot
65 su0:S:wait:/sbin/rc single
66
67 Output from rc-status -a:
68 Runlevel: default
69 net.eth1 [
70 started ]
71 dbus [
72 started ]
73 net.eth0 [
74 started ]
75 netmount [
76 started ]
77 ntp-client [
78 started ]
79 sshd [
80 started ]
81 udev-postmount [
82 started ]
83 local [
84 started ]
85 Runlevel: sysinit
86 dmesg [
87 started ]
88 udev [
89 started ]
90 devfs [
91 started ]
92 Runlevel: boot
93 hwclock [
94 started ]
95 modules [
96 started ]
97 fsck [
98 started ]
99 root [
100 started ]
101 mtab [
102 started ]
103 localmount [
104 started ]
105 sysctl [
106 started ]
107 bootmisc [
108 started ]
109 urandom [
110 started ]
111 net.lo [
112 started ]
113 termencoding [
114 started ]
115 swap [
116 started ]
117 keymaps [
118 started ]
119 hostname [
120 started ]
121 procfs [
122 started ]
123 Runlevel: shutdown
124 killprocs [
125 stopped ]
126 savecache [
127 stopped ]
128 mount-ro [
129 stopped ]
130 Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
131 Dynamic Runlevel: needed
132 sysfs [
133 started ]
134 Dynamic Runlevel: manual
135
136 Output from rc-update show:
137 bootmisc | boot
138 dbus | default
139 devfs | sysinit
140 dmesg | sysinit
141 fsck | boot
142 hostname | boot
143 hwclock | boot
144 keymaps | boot
145 killprocs | shutdown
146 local | default
147 localmount | boot
148 modules | boot
149 mount-ro | shutdown
150 mtab | boot
151 net.eth0 | default
152 net.eth1 | default
153 net.lo | boot
154 netmount | default
155 ntp-client | default
156 procfs | boot
157 root | boot
158 savecache | shutdown
159 sshd | default
160 swap | boot
161 sysctl | boot
162 sysklogd | default
163 termencoding | boot
164 udev | sysinit
165 udev-postmount | default
166 urandom | boot
167 virtualbox-guest-additions | default
168 xdm | default
169 xdm-setup | default