From: YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Init Scripts Not Starting
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:19:14
1 On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 08:31:08PM -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > Hey list,
3 >
4 > A little while after I compiled Gnome and got things running, I lost the
5 > ability to add scripts to the default runlevel. I can run rc-update add
6 > xdm default, for example, and the xdm symlink will appear in
7 > /etc/runlevels/default, and that symlink will indeed point to
8 > /etc/init.d/xdm, but xdm will not start. Further to that, there's no
9 > evidence to indicate that RC is even trying to start it. No errors, no
10 > logs, no nothing. Same goes for virtualbox-guest-additions and sysklogd.
11 > I tried logging rc and got absolutely nowhere. There's nothing overt in
12 > dmesg either.
13 >
14 > The really fun part is these scripts function perfectly if I run them after
15 > boot.
16 >
17 > Since there's no evidence of this problem in any logs or during the startup
18 > process, I assume there is no problem and I am doing it wrong.
19
20 Is it possible that you are booting into a different runlevel that
21 default ? (there's a softlevel=... kernel cmdline parameter)
22
23 What happens if (after boot) you just run
24
25 rc
26
27 (should start all service in the current runlevel, that are not
28 started yet) or
29
30 rc default
31
32 (should swithc to 'default' runlevel and start all services) ?
33
34 Could you post the output of rc-status -a ?
35 And maybe also grep rc /etc/inittab ?
36
37 For xdm there is one additional thing to check: xdm can be disabled
38 through a 'nox' kernel cmdline option or an /etc/.noxdm file...
39 But in that case the initscript itself should start and just print a
40 message, that it is not starting the DM.
41
42 yoyo