From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Init Scripts Not Starting
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 19:11:30
1 On Jan 4, 2012 9:56 PM, "Dan Cowsill" <danthehat@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:17 AM, YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 08:31:08PM -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
6 >> > Hey list,
7 >> >
8 >> > A little while after I compiled Gnome and got things running, I lost
9 the
10 >> > ability to add scripts to the default runlevel. I can run rc-update
11 add
12 >> > xdm default, for example, and the xdm symlink will appear in
13 >> > /etc/runlevels/default, and that symlink will indeed point to
14 >> > /etc/init.d/xdm, but xdm will not start. Further to that, there's no
15 >> > evidence to indicate that RC is even trying to start it. No errors, no
16 >> > logs, no nothing. Same goes for virtualbox-guest-additions and
17 sysklogd.
18 >> > I tried logging rc and got absolutely nowhere. There's nothing overt
19 in
20 >> > dmesg either.
21 >> >
22 >> > The really fun part is these scripts function perfectly if I run them
23 after
24 >> > boot.
25 >> >
26 >> > Since there's no evidence of this problem in any logs or during the
27 startup
28 >> > process, I assume there is no problem and I am doing it wrong.
29 >>
30 >> Is it possible that you are booting into a different runlevel that
31 >> default ? (there's a softlevel=... kernel cmdline parameter)
32 >>
33 >> What happens if (after boot) you just run
34 >>
35 >> rc
36 >>
37 >> (should start all service in the current runlevel, that are not
38 >> started yet) or
39 >>
40 >> rc default
41 >>
42 >> (should swithc to 'default' runlevel and start all services) ?
43 >>
44 >> Could you post the output of rc-status -a ?
45 >> And maybe also grep rc /etc/inittab ?
46 >>
47 >> For xdm there is one additional thing to check: xdm can be disabled
48 >> through a 'nox' kernel cmdline option or an /etc/.noxdm file...
49 >> But in that case the initscript itself should start and just print a
50 >> message, that it is not starting the DM.
51 >>
52 >> yoyo
55 > Hey, thanks for the reply.
56 >
57 > Running rc or rc default returns immediately. I am sure I am starting
58 into the default runlevel because ntp-client runs on default and it starts
59 no problem.
60 >
61 > Output from grep rc /etc/inittab:
62 > si::sysinit:/sbin/rc sysinit
63 > rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot
64 > l0:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
65 > l1:1:wait:/sbin/rc single
66 > l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
67 > l3:3:wait:/sbin/rc default
68 > l4:4:wait:/sbin/rc default
69 > l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
70 > l6:6:wait:/sbin/rc reboot
71 > su0:S:wait:/sbin/rc single
72 >
73 > Output from rc-status -a:
74 > Runlevel: default
75 > net.eth1 [
76 started ]
77 > dbus [
78 started ]
79 > net.eth0 [
80 started ]
81 > netmount [
82 started ]
83 > ntp-client [
84 started ]
85 > sshd [
86 started ]
87 > udev-postmount [
88 started ]
89 > local [
90 started ]
91 > Runlevel: sysinit
92 > dmesg [
93 started ]
94 > udev [
95 started ]
96 > devfs [
97 started ]
98 > Runlevel: boot
99 > hwclock [
100 started ]
101 > modules [
102 started ]
103 > fsck [
104 started ]
105 > root [
106 started ]
107 > mtab [
108 started ]
109 > localmount [
110 started ]
111 > sysctl [
112 started ]
113 > bootmisc [
114 started ]
115 > urandom [
116 started ]
117 > net.lo [
118 started ]
119 > termencoding [
120 started ]
121 > swap [
122 started ]
123 > keymaps [
124 started ]
125 > hostname [
126 started ]
127 > procfs [
128 started ]
129 > Runlevel: shutdown
130 > killprocs [
131 stopped ]
132 > savecache [
133 stopped ]
134 > mount-ro [
135 stopped ]
136 > Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
137 > Dynamic Runlevel: needed
138 > sysfs [
139 started ]
140 > Dynamic Runlevel: manual
141 >
142 > Output from rc-update show:
143 > bootmisc | boot
144 > dbus | default
145 > devfs | sysinit
146 > dmesg | sysinit
147 > fsck | boot
148 > hostname | boot
149 > hwclock | boot
150 > keymaps | boot
151 > killprocs | shutdown
152 > local | default
153 > localmount | boot
154 > modules | boot
155 > mount-ro | shutdown
156 > mtab | boot
157 > net.eth0 | default
158 > net.eth1 | default
159 > net.lo | boot
160 > netmount | default
161 > ntp-client | default
162 > procfs | boot
163 > root | boot
164 > savecache | shutdown
165 > sshd | default
166 > swap | boot
167 > sysctl | boot
168 > sysklogd | default
169 > termencoding | boot
170 > udev | sysinit
171 > udev-postmount | default
172 > urandom | boot
173 > virtualbox-guest-additions | default
174 > xdm | default
175 > xdm-setup | default
178 That's strange... it looks as if the /etc seen by rc during boot is
179 different from the /etc seen after entering runlevel default...
180
181 Rgds,