From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my data gone?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:13:55
1 On 04/29/2010 06:53 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 30 April 2010 00:43:41 dhk wrote:
3 >> While setting up a new disk I accidentally ran "mke2fs /dev/sda1"
4 >> instead of "mke2fs /dev/hda1". When I realized the mistake (about 2
5 >> seconds later) I hit Ctrl-C before mke2fs was done. Now I can't mount
6 >> the drive. Is there a way to read the drive to get the data off or is
7 >> it unrecoverable?
10 > For all practical intents and purposes, and for all reasonable values of
11 > "effectively", your data is effectively gone.
12 >
13 > Money, lots of money, could tip the sales in your favour.
14 >
15 > This is why you made backups. You did make backups, right?
18 The disk was for video so I do have the tapes around, but I lost my
19 current edits. Finished products were burned to disk. Most of the data
20 was stuff I finished and was trying to decide what to do with, guess
21 that decision's been made. Hopefully I'll never have to recreate them.
22
23 Anyway to pick up the disk from the middle? I really don't want to go
24 through the tapes and download them again.
25
26 Thanks,
27
28 dhk