From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4.6 runaway process after wake up
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 19:52:46
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 20:43 on Sunday 15 May 2011, Mick did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > > I don't recall having this issue with KDE3 so maybe it is something they
5 > > are working on. I did notice the other day that I had only a couple
6 > > after the openrc upgrade. I don't know if one has anything to do with
7 > > the other tho. I also did some KDE updates as well.
8 >
9 > Sorry I should have been clearer:
10 >
11 > I woke up the machine and noticed the fan was racing. Top showed these
12 > two being the culprits. I logged out of X and back on a console they
13 > were still running wild. I had to kill them manually to calm things down.
14 >
15 > When out of X in the console I seem to recall all other KDE processes had
16 > terminated.
17
18 FWIW, I have the same thing occasionally, also on wake-up after suspend to
19 RAM. In my case, something in the kdepim/akonadi/nepomuk/virtuoso stack seems
20 to be the underlying culprit - one of those apps is hogging cpu time and
21 kdeinit4/knotify are the ones that block the most hence they show up in top.
22
23 I tried various things involving re-merging stuffs, none of which helped. Then
24 I figured maybe the mail indexer really wanted to do something valid, so I let
25 it be and let it do whatever it wanted overnight. Since then the runaway
26 process problem hasn't happened again. Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not.
27
28 Maybe you could try the same?
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com