From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for PCI-X external SATA controller
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:43:51
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 15 Feb 2008, at 05:12, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Dale makes a note of this. Questions: If I buy this card and a SATA
6 >> hard drive, will I notice faster transfer speed on the drive or will
7 >> the PCI bus limit it somehow? I currently get 40 to 50 MBs/sec on my
8 >> IDE drives. Would this setup be any faster?
9 >
10 > If you want faster throughput then onboard controllers or PCI-express
11 > (PCI-e) are the way to go.
12 >
13 > I'm not sure how the bandwidth of regular old PCI compares to (i.e.
14 > limits) that of an SATA harddrive, but you can come across PCI's
15 > performance limitations if using a RAID array. PCI-express has
16 > _signifcantly_ more capacity than regular old PCI - I read recently
17 > that regular old PCI may be unable to keep up with a gigabit network
18 > card & that onboard gigbit network ports are faster.
19 >
20 > I tend to think of PCI-X just as "long PCI" or only-a-bit-faster-than
21 > PCI. It might be (say?) double the speed of short PCI, but it doesn't
22 > match PCI-e's several-times (?) performance. PCI-X may be useful when
23 > trying to get the best performance out of an older motherboard, or if
24 > you're trying to save money by picking up an expensive hardware-RAID
25 > card cheaper secondhand, but I would try to avoid investing too much
26 > money in it until you've done the maths - a new motherboard / CPU /
27 > RAM might even be cheaper & faster.
28 >
29 > Stroller.
30
31 So basically I need to build a new rig with newer stuff? I have a old
32 Abit NF7-2.0 mobo right now. I want to build a rig with dual CPUs and
33 all the "new" stuff. Got to save up some serious cash first tho. Being
34 disabled makes that take a little time.
35
36 Thanks for the info.
37
38 Dale