From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for PCI-X external SATA controller
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:14:21
1 On 15 Feb 2008, at 05:12, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > Dale makes a note of this. Questions: If I buy this card and a
4 > SATA hard drive, will I notice faster transfer speed on the drive
5 > or will the PCI bus limit it somehow? I currently get 40 to 50 MBs/
6 > sec on my IDE drives. Would this setup be any faster?
7
8 If you want faster throughput then onboard controllers or PCI-express
9 (PCI-e) are the way to go.
10
11 I'm not sure how the bandwidth of regular old PCI compares to (i.e.
12 limits) that of an SATA harddrive, but you can come across PCI's
13 performance limitations if using a RAID array. PCI-express has
14 _signifcantly_ more capacity than regular old PCI - I read recently
15 that regular old PCI may be unable to keep up with a gigabit network
16 card & that onboard gigbit network ports are faster.
17
18 I tend to think of PCI-X just as "long PCI" or only-a-bit-faster-than
19 PCI. It might be (say?) double the speed of short PCI, but it doesn't
20 match PCI-e's several-times (?) performance. PCI-X may be useful when
21 trying to get the best performance out of an older motherboard, or if
22 you're trying to save money by picking up an expensive hardware-RAID
23 card cheaper secondhand, but I would try to avoid investing too much
24 money in it until you've done the maths - a new motherboard / CPU /
25 RAM might even be cheaper & faster.
26
27 Stroller.
28 --