From: deface <deface@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using a HD with bad sectors
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 04:52:58
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I have two 2.5in HD's, one 60Gb with a heap of bad sectors currently
5 > used in external Hd enclosure, and one 100Gb which seems in good
6 > condition, currently in my laptop.
7 >
8 > I'm upgrading my laptop, and I'd like to turn the old one into a myth
9 > frontend or something similar, so I want to put the 60Gb in it. I will
10 > then use the 100Gb in my external enclosure for travelling, backups,
11 > etc.
12 >
13 > The reason the 60Gb has bad sectors (I think) is because I dropped it
14 > (in it's enclosure). This was quite some time ago, and it doesn't seem
15 > to be dying any further, but I haven't done any comparisons on the bad
16 > sector count. I use nearly 100% of the space available, and regularly
17 > compare cksums, so if anything was deteriorating, I would know.
18 >
19 > The question is: should I use it at all (for any use, external HD or
20 > internal with operating system), or is it sufficient to let the fsck
21 > tool mark the bad sectors and just keep using it?
22 >
23 > Is there a way to monitor it's "health" in the external enclosure until
24 > I get my new laptop? Is counting the bad sectors enough?
25 >
26 > thanks heaps!
27 >
28 this day in age, space is sooo cheap. atleast in the US. 60 gigs is
29 weak. get a new drive.
30 --
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list