From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] wanna learn networking internals
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:34:53
1 * Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [150904 08:15]:
2 > On 03/09/2015 21:46, Francisco Ares wrote:
3 [..SNIP..]
4 > > - there was a teletype
5 > > (remember those?)
6 >
7 > Golf balls. Gods, those things made a racket.
8
9 I think the golf balls you're referencing were the IBM selectrics?
10
11 [..SNIP..]
12 > Oh no, not punched paper tape. All I remember is thousands of tiny
13 > yellow punched shards that floated everywhere like confetti....
14
15 Chads. Just like the hanging chad debacle here in the US. (I never
16 understood why everyone hated chad enough to string him up, but...)
19 > > Thanks for the opportunity for an old story to be remembered.
20 >
21 > We old farts here reminisce about every 6 months or so. It usually
22 > starts when someone asks a question like: did you ever work with those
23 > original 8 inch floppies? and the thread goes on for days :-)
24
25 I still do. Along with teletypes, line printers, PDP-8s, PDP-11s,
26 vaxen, paper tape, 10MB hard drives that weigh 200lbs, etc.
27
28 All for fun of course.
29
30 Todd