From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] wanna learn networking internals
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 20:56:11
1 On 03/09/2015 21:46, Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > Me, too, a hardware guy, but having to learn high level stuff. Here at
3 > the company that work for, we had a programmer a couple of years ago,
4 > that has gone for a better opportunity. So I got his load.
5 >
6 > Blinking a bunch of LEDs is where I started. The first ones with simple
7 > transistors, resistors and capacitors, TTLs were next, and then,
8 > finally, a Z80 with an UV EPROM,
9
10 Z80? A fine CPU. Built by a bunch of guys who left Intel early on,
11 convinced a full 8 bit cpu with 16 address lines was possible!
12
13 That chip powered so many home pcs in the late 70s and early 80s. That
14 and the 6502
15
16 # having to be programmed at the
17 > university lab in a terribly monstrous gig
18
19 A giant thing with a ZIL socket and huge UV tubes to blank the EPROM>
20 Yup, I remember them well
21
22 > - there was a teletype
23 > (remember those?)
24
25 Golf balls. Gods, those things made a racket.
26 But worse still was line printers with 136 disks, one for each character
27 position. If you printed just the right things, you could get them to
28 play out a tune :-)
29
30 > where a paper tape had to be punched with the byte
31 > codes, hand assembled from mnemonics, the tape transferred to another
32 > part where it was read while the bytes been burnt to the EPROM; if one
33 > missed or twisted a byte, everything had to be done again, program tapes
34 > being literally patched over and over. Nowadays it all look very funny,
35 > but not at all on those days with a final degree project deadline
36 > approaching ;-)
37
38 Oh no, not punched paper tape. All I remember is thousands of tiny
39 yellow punched shards that floated everywhere like confetti....
40
41 > Thanks for the opportunity for an old story to be remembered.
42
43 We old farts here reminisce about every 6 months or so. It usually
44 starts when someone asks a question like: did you ever work with those
45 original 8 inch floppies? and the thread goes on for days :-)
49 Alan McKinnon
50 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com