From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 13:24:24
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 20 May 2015 08:21:34 -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 > > > If you want to be able to use UEFI, you need to use GPT. UEFI needs a
6 > > > FAT partition at the start of the drive, type FE00, but booting a GPT
7 > > > disk with MBR requires a small BIOS boot partition, type EF02, at the
8 > > > start of the drive (mine is 1MB).
9 > > >
10 > > > For ease of switching to UEFI later, I'd do
11 > > >
12 > > > sda1 1MB BIOS boot, type EF00
13 > > > sda2 /boot, type 8300
14 > > > everything else.
15 > > >
16 > > > You can make sda2 ext2, then, when it is time to switch, simply backup
17 > > > the contents of /boot, replace sda1 and sda2 with a single EF00
18 > > > partition, formatted with FAT, and copy the contents of /boot back.
19 > >
20 > > Thanks, does the 1mb partition have to have anything in it?
21 >
22 > No. If doesn't even need a filesystem, just create the partition with the
23 > correct type and GRUB will work.
24
25 I have been usinglilo, so till I need to go to a uefi mb, that seems to
26 work.
30 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
31 How do
32 you spend it?
33
34 John Covici