From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WiFi needs ESSID to connect?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:33:36
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:50:26 +0000 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5
6 > I am unable to connect to a wireless access point unless it is set to
7 > announce its ESSID.
8
9 Not announcing the ESSID won't help much, anyway.
10
11 FWIW, if there are no beacons in the air, how should your WiFi client
12 tell what frequency to tune? How should it be aware of the network?
13 That will only work if you set both channel and ESSID on the client
14 (and WEP key, of course).
15
16 > This happens despite me changing the key entry from
17 > key_ESSID-name="12345678" to key="12345678".
18
19 Revert that. Also set
20 ---snip---
21 essid_wlan0="MyESSID"