From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WiFi needs ESSID to connect?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:13:44
1 Thanks HW,
2
3 On Tuesday 16 January 2007 13:28, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
4
5 > On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:50:26 +0000 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
6 > wrote:
7 > > I am unable to connect to a wireless access point unless it is set to
8 > > announce its ESSID.
9 [snip...]
10 > FWIW, if there are no beacons in the air, how should your WiFi client
11 > tell what frequency to tune? How should it be aware of the network?
12 > That will only work if you set both channel and ESSID on the client
13 > (and WEP key, of course).
14
15 Well, it should and does pick up the broadcasted MAC address of the access
16 point (AP). I have verified that the wireless (USB) adaptor on my laptop
17 receives the AP's MAC by running 'iwlist wlan0 scanning' and 'iwconfig
18 wlan0'.
19
20 However, the WEP authentication fails thereafter, because the authentication
21 seems to need an ESSID_name. Not sure if this is an adaptor driver issue
22 (rt2500usb), or something to so with the way the init.d scripts work.
23 M$Windows laptops don't seem to have a problem connecting to this AP whether
24 it publishes its ESSID, or not.
25
26 > > This happens despite me changing the key entry from
27 > > key_ESSID-name="12345678" to key="12345678".
28 >
29 > Revert that. Also set
30 > ---snip---
31 > essid_wlan0="MyESSID"
32 > channel_wlan0="<channel number>"
33 > associate_order="forcepreferredonly"
34 > ---snip---
35
36 I have found that as long as the AP publishes its ESSID_name there's no need
37 to specify a channel. Up until today, when the AP ESSID_name broadcast was
38 switched off, I did not need to enter the channel number in
39 my /etc/conf.d/net to be able to associate and authenticate. I also found in
40 the past that setting a preferred AP and trying to force it on the wireless
41 adaptor invariably ended in failure to associate.
42
43 Whilst we're on the topic of wireless networking, I am quite confused as to
44 how wireless works with its various encryption and authentication modes. Is
45 it possible to set up Linux so that if an AP asks for a WEP key, I can get a
46 message informing me accordingly?
47
48 How is one meant to configure /etc/conf.d/net to be able to associate with
49 different APs, some with no encryption, some with WEP, some with WAP. I
50 don't mind using a gui if this is going to offer some interactivity, to
51 enable me to achieve this. A recent post mentioning a Gnome application
52 wouldn't do for me on this occasion, as I don't have Gnome on this laptop.
53 Kwifimanager does not seem very helpful, at least not with this USB adaptor
54 and its driver.
55
56 Thanks for your suggestions so far.
57 --