From: Hund <lists_gentoo@×××××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] routine maintenance.
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:21:11
1 >My waterblock is clogged again, down to a trickle of flow, not bad
2 >enough to be dangerous at idle but I've had to order some fresh O-rings
3 >from Germany and will need to rebuild the damn thing again.
4
5 Unless you're a hardcore overclocker, there's really no reason to bother with it, especially not today with modern hardware that's running cool with pretty weak cooling to begin with. :)
6
7 >Any thoughts about running a drive this old, and what I should be
8 >looking at as a replacement?
9
10 No matter how old or new your disk is, keep your backups current and in working shape.
11
12 If it's old, I would just keep an extra eye on the S.M.A.R.T. status and replace it when it's getting close to dying. If you're lucky it will last you for a long time and if you're unlucky it could die any day, which is also to true for any disk.
13
14 >Root is a 256gb SATA Samsung SSD, no concerns about lifespan on that
15 >drive. I hadn't heard of M.2 yet when I bought it...
16
17 A SSD is just fine. You're not gaining any performance with a M.2 disk anyway.
20 Hund