From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating libpng: another libtool cockup?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 20:49:37
1 On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I just did a routine update on my ~amd64 machine and saw the portage
3 > warning that libpng14 has been replaced by libpng15, and I should run
4 > revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib/libpng14.so' and then delete the
5 > obsolete library.
6 >
7 > That's what I did.  I confess I wasn't watching, so I may have missed
8 > some important errors during the run.
9 >
10 > After that I ran plain revdep-rebuild as I do after every update, and
11 > saw that two gnome packages failed to rebuild properly because lpng14
12 > couldn't be found :/
13 >
14 > From painful experience I've learned that good-old libtool files (*.la)
15 > are the usual suspects, and grep found -lpng14 in about ten .la files
16 > even after both revdep-rebuilds.  Grrr!
17 >
18 > This fixed the problem for me (as similar moves have done in the past):
19 >
20 > #find /usr/lib64 -name \*.la -exec sed -i s/png14/png15/ '{}' ';'
21 >
22 > I ran revdep-rebuild again and the two broken packages emerged nicely
23 > this time.
24 >
25 > I hope no one else will hit this problem, but at least this is a good
26 > workaround if you do.
27
28 If you're not following Diego Pettenò's blog, you probably should. .la
29 files are one of the things he harps on in his blog.
30
31 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
34 :wq