From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Yikes, what have I done 3 1 seconds beeps on boot
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:54:47
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org] On Behalf Of Harry Putnam
3 > Sent: 07 December 2005 02:33
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Yikes, what have I done 3 1 seconds
6 > beeps on boot
9 > I've been tinkering around with installing a new hdd for the
10 > last 1/2 hr
11 > or so, suddenly on shutdown I hear 3 beeps come from the computer I'm
12 > working on. Attempts to reboot bring 3 1 second beeps now too.
13 >
14 > One by one, I've disconnected each drive, beginning with the one I've
15 > been tinkering with. There are currently 3 HDD and 2 cdroms in there.
16 >
17 > What led to this situation:
18 > I had disconnected both cdroms and connected the new hdd on that
19 > controller as single master. Booted up without problems.
20 > The new drive
21 > appeared in dmesg but fdisk knew nothing about it.
22 >
23 > I've been using Lilo lately and I noticed a line in lilo.conf
24 > that told
25 > the kernel some bad info since I had disconnected cdroms and
26 > installed
27 > the new drive: (On the kernel line amongst other things)
28 > `hdc=ide-scsi'
29 >
30 > That was the same device noted in dmesg as belonging to the new drive.
31 > hdc: WDC WD3000JB-00KFA0, ATA DISK drive
32 >
33 > I removed that from lilo.conf and reran lilo then shutdown.
34 > As mach was
35 > shutting down I heard those three beeps. Now I get the beeps
36 > when I try
37 > to boot and no bootsky.
38 >
39 > Its an intel D850MV mobo and on intel pages it tells me 3
40 > beeps mean a
41 > memory problem. Just in case, I removed and reseated the
42 > memory cards,
43 > also tried booting with first one then the other mem card (2
44 > 256 cards).
45 > No change in beeps.
46 >
47 > I even tried booting without any installed... I'm not sure if
48 > that would
49 > invoke the beeps anyway, but I did hear them.
50 >
51 > Its been my experience thru life that usually, in fact nearly
52 > always, if
53 > you have trouble with something after working on it, its very very
54 > likely to be something you just did or had your hands on. I'm still
55 > wanting to believe this is something simple I did with the drive.
56 > However after disconnecting all drives ribbon and power
57 > source, I still
58 > hear the beeps, and don't get past that.
59
60 If the mobo manual says 3 beeps is a memory problem then that's that.
61 MEMTEST 86 should pick up anything wrong with it. On the other hand you
62 may have disturbed any jumpers/ribbons associated with the memory
63 controller. In my limited experience, all beeps that I've experienced
64 were related to either dodgy, or incompatible memory modules.
65 --
66 Regards,
67 Mick
70 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list