From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Yikes, what have I done 3 1 seconds beeps on boot
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 02:42:14
1 I've been tinkering around with installing a new hdd for the last 1/2 hr
2 or so, suddenly on shutdown I hear 3 beeps come from the computer I'm
3 working on. Attempts to reboot bring 3 1 second beeps now too.
4
5 One by one, I've disconnected each drive, beginning with the one I've
6 been tinkering with. There are currently 3 HDD and 2 cdroms in there.
7
8 What led to this situation:
9 I had disconnected both cdroms and connected the new hdd on that
10 controller as single master. Booted up without problems. The new drive
11 appeared in dmesg but fdisk knew nothing about it.
12
13 I've been using Lilo lately and I noticed a line in lilo.conf that told
14 the kernel some bad info since I had disconnected cdroms and installed
15 the new drive: (On the kernel line amongst other things)
16 `hdc=ide-scsi'
17
18 That was the same device noted in dmesg as belonging to the new drive.
19 hdc: WDC WD3000JB-00KFA0, ATA DISK drive
20
21 I removed that from lilo.conf and reran lilo then shutdown. As mach was
22 shutting down I heard those three beeps. Now I get the beeps when I try
23 to boot and no bootsky.
24
25 Its an intel D850MV mobo and on intel pages it tells me 3 beeps mean a
26 memory problem. Just in case, I removed and reseated the memory cards,
27 also tried booting with first one then the other mem card (2 256 cards).
28 No change in beeps.
29
30 I even tried booting without any installed... I'm not sure if that would
31 invoke the beeps anyway, but I did hear them.
32
33 Its been my experience thru life that usually, in fact nearly always, if
34 you have trouble with something after working on it, its very very
35 likely to be something you just did or had your hands on. I'm still
36 wanting to believe this is something simple I did with the drive.
37 However after disconnecting all drives ribbon and power source, I still
38 hear the beeps, and don't get past that.
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list