From: Jerry Turba <jturba@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Yikes, what have I done 3 1 seconds beeps on boot
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 14:53:18
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > I've been tinkering around with installing a new hdd for the last 1/2
4 > hr or so, suddenly on shutdown I hear 3 beeps come from the computer
5 > I'm working on. Attempts to reboot bring 3 1 second beeps now too.
6 >
7 > One by one, I've disconnected each drive, beginning with the one I've
8 > been tinkering with. There are currently 3 HDD and 2 cdroms in there.
9 >
10 > What led to this situation:
11 > I had disconnected both cdroms and connected the new hdd on that
12 > controller as single master. Booted up without problems. The new
13 > drive appeared in dmesg but fdisk knew nothing about it.
14 >
15 > I've been using Lilo lately and I noticed a line in lilo.conf that
16 > told the kernel some bad info since I had disconnected cdroms and
17 > installed the new drive: (On the kernel line amongst other things)
18 > `hdc=ide-scsi'
19 >
20 > That was the same device noted in dmesg as belonging to the new drive.
21 > hdc: WDC WD3000JB-00KFA0, ATA DISK drive
22 >
23 > I removed that from lilo.conf and reran lilo then shutdown. As mach
24 > was shutting down I heard those three beeps. Now I get the beeps when
25 > I try to boot and no bootsky.
26 >
27 > Its an intel D850MV mobo and on intel pages it tells me 3 beeps mean a
28 > memory problem. Just in case, I removed and reseated the memory
29 > cards, also tried booting with first one then the other mem card (2
30 > 256 cards). No change in beeps.
31 >
32 > I even tried booting without any installed... I'm not sure if that
33 > would invoke the beeps anyway, but I did hear them.
34 >
35 > Its been my experience thru life that usually, in fact nearly always,
36 > if you have trouble with something after working on it, its very very
37 > likely to be something you just did or had your hands on. I'm still
38 > wanting to believe this is something simple I did with the drive.
39 > However after disconnecting all drives ribbon and power source, I
40 > still hear the beeps, and don't get past that.
41 >
42 The websites of the bios makers will have the meaning of their beep
43 codes. There were only 3 and now 2 bios makers I believe.
44
45 I seem to remember vaguely that 3 beeps indicates ram or video card
46 problem. Did you check that they are in their slots securely? It is easy
47 to slightly dislodge something?
48
49 This is only a shot in the dark and hope it helps.
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list