From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bounced messages
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 11:51:42
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 00:39:43 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Grant Taylor wrote:
4 >>> On 11/1/19 2:00 PM, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> I think we came to the conclusion that one person is causing this.
6 >>> I don't agree with that conclusion.
7 >> The only message I noticed missing was from one person. Since they are
8 >> coming from one person, that is the cause. If the messages was from
9 >> more than one person, then maybe there could be another conclusion.
10 > Correlation does not equal causation. Any one having similar email headers
11 > could cause a message to be flagged as spam, or to be rejected by the
12 > recipients mail server. Thankfully the M/L informs us messages from the list
13 > to us were bounced and we can look at the online M/L archives to see what the
14 > message might have been. Some email ISP services are not as obliging though -
15 > see below.
16 >
17 > ANECDOTAL OBSERVATIONS:
18 >
19 > I've noticed recently even using the same sender address, but a different mail
20 > client, could cause the difference between the message being accepted or
21 > rejected by the recipient's mail server. I had to send an innocuous message
22 > containing only plain text and a couple of URLs to a group of senders, with
23 > their individual addresses in BCC: to ensure they remained anonymous among
24 > themselves.
25 >
26 > Two of the recipients' mail servers bounced my message with a "554 Message
27 > Rejected". I tried again, this time sending the same message body, with the
28 > same email client (KMail) to each of the two recipients individually. Same
29 > deal: "554 Message Rejected" from both.
30 >
31 > Then I used the Gmail webmail GUI to send the same message body to each
32 > recipient and to my surprise it was accepted by their mail server and
33 > delivered to their Inbox. Until that point they were none the wiser of my
34 > repeated attempts to email the information they had requested.
35 >
36 > Using KMail configured to use smtp.gmail.com Vs using Gmail's webmail
37 > generates slightly different headers and I surmised this is all there was to
38 > my message being rejected in the first two attempts.
41 But still, as far as I can tell, all the recent bounced messages were
42 from one person.  Whether it is the client that person uses, software,
43 IP or some other reason, it was one person that was being bounced.  If
44 it was more than one person, then I could agree that it may affect
45 others but in this case, it isn't.  Barring other people having their
46 emails bounced in the same way, I'm still in the camp that that person
47 is the cause, for whatever reason.
48
49 Dale
50