From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bounced messages
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 11:27:52
1 On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 00:39:43 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Taylor wrote:
3 > > On 11/1/19 2:00 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > >> I think we came to the conclusion that one person is causing this.
5 > >
6 > > I don't agree with that conclusion.
7 >
8 > The only message I noticed missing was from one person. Since they are
9 > coming from one person, that is the cause. If the messages was from
10 > more than one person, then maybe there could be another conclusion.
11
12 Correlation does not equal causation. Any one having similar email headers
13 could cause a message to be flagged as spam, or to be rejected by the
14 recipients mail server. Thankfully the M/L informs us messages from the list
15 to us were bounced and we can look at the online M/L archives to see what the
16 message might have been. Some email ISP services are not as obliging though -
17 see below.
18
19 ANECDOTAL OBSERVATIONS:
20
21 I've noticed recently even using the same sender address, but a different mail
22 client, could cause the difference between the message being accepted or
23 rejected by the recipient's mail server. I had to send an innocuous message
24 containing only plain text and a couple of URLs to a group of senders, with
25 their individual addresses in BCC: to ensure they remained anonymous among
26 themselves.
27
28 Two of the recipients' mail servers bounced my message with a "554 Message
29 Rejected". I tried again, this time sending the same message body, with the
30 same email client (KMail) to each of the two recipients individually. Same
31 deal: "554 Message Rejected" from both.
32
33 Then I used the Gmail webmail GUI to send the same message body to each
34 recipient and to my surprise it was accepted by their mail server and
35 delivered to their Inbox. Until that point they were none the wiser of my
36 repeated attempts to email the information they had requested.
37
38 Using KMail configured to use smtp.gmail.com Vs using Gmail's webmail
39 generates slightly different headers and I surmised this is all there was to
40 my message being rejected in the first two attempts.
41 --
42 Regards,
43 Mick