From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bounced messages
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 00:39:55
1 Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 11/1/19 2:00 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> I think we came to the conclusion that one person is causing this.
4 >
5 > I don't agree with that conclusion.
8 The only message I noticed missing was from one person.  Since they are
9 coming from one person, that is the cause.  If the messages was from
10 more than one person, then maybe there could be another conclusion.
11
12 >> Basically his emails trigger the spam alarm and it gets marked before
13 >> or upon receipt by gmail.  It doesn't even make it to my in box.
14 >
15 > I don't know if spam is the proper term per say, but it's certainly in
16 > the email hygiene category.
17 >
18 >> Now how a individual can find themselves in a place where their
19 >> emails are marked as spam like that, one can only guess.
20 >
21 > I don't need to guess.
22 >
23 > Any subscriber that posts to the list from an email domain that
24 > employs contemporary security; i.e. SPF, and DKIM, and DMARC, all with
25 > strict settings, will likely cause this to happen for subscribers that
26 > have email with a provider that honors said strict security.
27 >
28 >> Thanks for the info.
29 >
30 > You're welcome.
31 >
32 > Note:  I expect this larger problem to get considerably worse (across
33 > mailing lists in general) before it gets better.  Some governments
34 > around the world are mandating that any business that partners with
35 > the government in any way must implement the contemporary technologies
36 > that I'm talking about.  Germany and the U.S.A. come to mind.  I don't
37 > know of other examples off hand.
43 Based on posts from others, I suspect you are right. Sad to say but
44 mailing lists are not as popular it seems as they once was and one could
45 wonder if some of this is designed to make it harder for mailing lists
46 to stay active.  While Alan's messages in the past were sort of
47 spam-ish, it's not really something that should be marked that way.
48 They shoulod get through and if the list maintainers think his messages
49 should be rejected for some reason, then they should be dealt with on
50 the Gentoo end of things.
51
52 Either way, at least we know it isn't that some Gentoo server is having
53 a problem.  That was my main concern.
54
55 Dale
56